Monday 19 November 2012

Christmas Geeky Gift Making

I do like to make presents, which is a good thing as everyone now expects them from me!  Sometimes the inspiration comes from snippets of remembered conversations with the recipients and others are a direct request - like "More Socks!!" from Dad :)

Whilst being gifted 'that giraffe', Kay was hunting for a slimline diary for next year.  Her requirements were geeky...batman...or Doctor Who and "not cute".  She failed in her hunt, so I promised to take care of it for Christmas.  I picked up a bland slimline diary and got to work...

I used printable fabric from Card Creations, and set about designing my own backing fabric.  I was inspired by this tardis fabric and used Serif to create my own.  The printable fabric wasn't cheap and does print beautifully but the quality of the cotton itself is quite shameful.  It's full of slubs, some of which are quite dark and is a perfect example of the cheapest cotton fabric available - meh.  The strength of the glue used to adhere the fabric to the carrier sheet also makes the fabric quite crunchy and not particularly pleasant to sew with.


I added printable seam binding with her name on, ribbons and bells(!) and made and appliqued a felt batman logo.  Doctor Who meets Batman...why not?


You can just see the lining peeking out in this picture - I chose a dotty fabric to tie in with her character!

And of course, a handmade gift needs a handmade box:


I used Snowy Day from Birdie Brown (Torico, if you're reading this, the offer of sending you the box I made last time I was playing with your digi stamps still stands!), coloured it with Promarkers and layered it up on the box top.  No need to glue things onto a badly blended hat on this one!  Woo!  I stuck to a purple/lavender colour palette to match the diary.  The box itself is made from the reverse side of Centura Pearl card stock, that I ran through the printer.


There are glitter and glossy accents on the digi stamp and tag, along with a ribbon "belt" using a diamante buckle that was in with some craft supplies a colleague gave to me in exchange for altering a top for her.


I still have a lot of presents to make, but boy does it feel good to get one under my belt!  I have a strange urge to wrap this up in wrapping paper as well...anyone else get that?

Entering into the following challenges:

November Challenge - Birdie Brown 
A Christmas Present - Nutcrafters
Plain & Simple - Totally Gorjuss
November Colour Challenge - Ribbon Girls
Christmas Trees - I Love Promarkers
Moon & Stars - Passion for Promarkers
Snow People - Sweet Stampin'





18 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining our Plain and Simple challenge at TG this week. Your card is just fabulous and depicts the challenge perfectly. hugs Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely project, I'm sure she will love this gift. Thanks for joining in with the Ribbon Girl colour challenge, Mary G x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful project and gift idea! Love all the purples x
    Thanks for joining us at I Love Promarkers x

    Jenny xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute topper on your gift box, love the tree background for your cute Snowman. GDT for I love Promarkers. Carolxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. fantastic gift - the box is amazing. Love the colour combo
    Many thanks for joining us at Sweet Stampin' this week
    Doreen xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another gorgeous creation! This is so pretty!
    Thank you for your kind words. As I live in Japan, the shipping would cost so much. In addition to that, it was so beautiful that I don't deserve to receive it. I hope I will have a time to try making such a beautiful box by myself.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome project and I'm sure the recipient will be thrilled :)
    Kat x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh you have been busy.What an amazing present with a super gift box.Fabulous creations.Very impressive.Thanks for joining in with us over at Nutcrafters.Good luck.Hugs Debbie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous project! Thanks for joining us at Sweet Stampin' this week :) Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear.. Amazing project!!! You made fantastic job with it!!
    Thank you for joining us at Sweet Stampin` “Snow People” Challenge and we hope to see you again soon.
    Hugs
    Natali

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Thanks a sound wonderful story that's knocked our mind because this type of product extract create new sector of business. GEGEN CELLULITE Im Kampf gegen Cellulite, ist es wichtig, beeinflusst evakuieren verursacht aus dem Weg. Sagen Sie Cellulite zu kämpfen dann können Sie zufrieden sein.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing useful and information post!!! it is really nice post! Keep it up
    Best Foot Repair Cream

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. musikerkennenWenn Sie Ihre Lieblingsmusik erkennen möchten, klicken Sie hier

    ReplyDelete